Around 1980, an effort began to erect a monument to Metropolitan Vasyl' Lypkivs'kyi, the spiritual leader of the 1921 Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church. The Ukrainian sculptor Petro Kapschutschenko was chosen to design the monument. In the course of his work, he created numerous small terra cotta studies that document his artistic choices and thought process. These "three dimensional sketches" are now in the permanent collection of the UHEC, and a selection are shown here and in the UHEC Library Gallery as part of the exhibition "Autonomy Lost and Regained: The Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolia of Kyiv, 1633-2019” through Spring 2022.
This exhibition and associated content was made possible by a grant from the New Jersey Council for the Humanities, a state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this exhibition do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities or the New Jersey Council for the Humanities.